Monday, March 11, 2013

Equipment for Oral History Interviews

Procuring the right equipment for oral history interviews can be a tricky thing. Each project can require different equipment depending on how the institution wants to archive their files.  Even with the best equipment, your interview can go awry if you don't take steps to make sure the equipment can do its job! This post will cover equipment pros and cons as well as general rules for ensuring a quality recording.

Generally speaking, you'll have one of two formats: audio recordings, or video recordings.  

Audio recordings usually require a fairly high-end recording device - not a hand-held personal recorder like you  might use for dictation.  You'll usually need to find something with a quality microphone and one that gives you feedback that the device is recording.  Older models that I've worked with also have external storage cards, though newer models may have advanced in the last few years.  WARNING: Always make sure your storage cards are functioning correctly before the interview.  I've lost a great interview before due to faulty equipment! 

Video recordings are more forgiving in quality due to the fact that the equipment is rarely low-end. I use a Sony Handycam that the Red Cross checks out to interviewers, and it works wonderfully for all sorts of interviews.  I can record in HD, film in multiple aspect ratios, and I can take pictures as well.  I have a tripod that I connect the video camera to so that it remains stable during the interview and I can gently adjust the picture smoothly if the interviewee changes position or gestures off-camera.

Here are ground rules for recording to ensure the best quality interviews:
  • Keep it quiet - listen for clicks, TV sounds, loud A/C units or anything else that might impede your recording. If you can't get rid of it, at least move as far away from it as possible. Silence your phone.  Pause when their telephone rings.
  • Watch their body language.  Is your interviewee tired? Do they need to take a break for water or to use the restroom? If they are increasingly fatigued it's a good idea to feign tiredness yourself and pause the camera for a quick break.  Spend the time looking at their photographs or talking about your own family to keep the conversation about them on-camera.
  • Make their interview the star. Bring a water bottle with a soft bottom.   Put a tissue in your pocket that you can cough into. Wear shoes with rubber soles.  Learn to nod instead of verbally affirming (sometimes a verbal affirmation is necessary, though.)  

2 comments:

  1. Hello! My name is Felicia and I am the education coordinator at the National D-Day Memorial. I have a few questions about your Sony Handcam and checking them out from the Red Cross. If you have time, I would love to send these to you. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Felicia:

      You should be able to contact me at my full name at gmail dot com. Please let me know how I can help!

      Katherine

      Delete